Want To Know The Status of Your Sewer?

Want To Know The Status of Your Sewer?

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Why I'm Choosing To Speak


A friend asked me how the sewer back-up that happened to us was any different than any other sewer back-up.  My answer:  “It’s not!”  What happened to us was just as infuriating, scary, frustrating, and heartbreaking as anyone else.  The only difference is that I haven’t taken it lying down.  Instead, I’m fighting back as inherently, what has happened, even beyond the sewer back-up, isn’t right.  And, not only do I not want it to happen again to us, but I don’t want it to happen to anyone else.

I’ve heard the stories. . . a homeowner experiencing sewer back-up on the very day they move into their house.  A young couple purchasing their first home and coming to realize that the sewer backs up in their basement and they have to remodel.  A single mother working a second job only to come home late at night with her children to the strong odor of feces coming out of the basement.  This person did reach out to the City only to be told that they take no responsibility for sewer back-ups and the homeowner didn’t press any further.  The stories seep out one after another as the conversation about sewers opens up.

Yes, we made mistakes.  We didn’t have sewer back-up insurance on our homeowner’s policy.  We took that chance based on the Seller Disclosure Statement provided to us by the previous owners.  We also didn’t have some sentimental items out of harm’s way like my husband’s Eagle Scout memorabilia or the comic books he had been collecting since the 1970’s.  Our home’s history as well as the 15 years we lived there, gave every indication that there was no reason for concern.

In the wake of the City’s Insurance carrier’s denial of our claim I’m pressing on.  First, with the idea that so called “private sewers” exist in our City.  And, if they do, they need to be made public sewers, operated and maintained by the City.  Private sewer lines are not owned or maintained by anyone and can easily become a real estate, home owning, home buying, banking, and insurance nightmare.  If the private sewer lines do exist, they are most likely not up to code, may have buildings or dwellings built on top of them (which would be the City’s problem for issuing building permits), and may be on the verge of collapse.  

I’m also pressing on that if indeed private sewer lines exist, homeowners need to be made aware.  City Administrator, Andrew Morris, told me on Monday, April 4, 2016, that the City is under no obligation to inform homeowners.  Obligation or no obligation, informing is the right thing to do.  I have heard from homeowners who have called Public Works Director Larry Seals about the status of their sewer that letters will be coming in the mail.  Great!

Here are my concerns:
  • Will residents or homeowners be notified?  Sometimes, those are two different entities, especially with rental properties.  
  • Will homeowners be notified prior to the Special Public Meeting to be held on Tuesday, April 26, 2016?  Again, it would be good customer service to notify homeowners in writing and invite them to the Special Public Meeting.

 
It takes time, resources, and courage to press on and a voice that won’t waiver in the wake of opinions.  It can feel lonely and I am grateful for my husband and family who are standing beside me and others who “march on” proudly and loudly, and others who support privately, fearful that their voice won’t be beneficial or will distract from the issue at hand.  And there has been criticism of my activism. 

Then there is the matter of our personal loss.  Based on City Attorney, Joni Keith’s letter to us as well as Mr. Morris’ suggestion to me during our phone conversation, an attorney would be the way we would need to go.  I have been in contact with several.  One firm in town refused the case due to conflict of interest.  We have also spoken to an attorney who is from Ottumwa but lives/works in another city.  And, interestingly enough, I got a phone call from a citizen about this issue while he was sitting in an attorney’s office.  This very well may be our next step.

In the meantime, I am giving the City Council, Mayor, and City Administrator an opportunity to do the right thing.  One Council Member indicated that this issue was coming so fast and furiously that it was like “drinking out of a fire hose.”  I get that.  They want to slow down.  That, I don’t get.  Slowing down may mean loss of public interest and support.  And leaving those of us on so called “private” sewers vulnerable and exposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment